Wednesday, March 28, 2007

The day no car stopped for me.

So as I walked out of Longs Pharmacy, a little distressed given that my husband was not feeling too well and I had just run out to get him some medication, an age old habit kicked in and I stopped short. I was about to cross the road that was full of cars going in both directions and not one of them stopped to let me cross! That too in a parking lot! I waited patiently, thinking, one of these kind souls will see my pitiful face and let me cross, but no! I counted - 7 cars, went by and not one stopped.

So, when I am driver, I always give way to pedestrians, unless truly I cannot e.g. on a really busy street, when they should be using the crossing at the light to begin with - for their own safety! When I am driver, all pedestrians always seem to come before or behind my car claiming their right of way! So how come, when I assume the role of a pedestrian , I am not extended that privilege. It was for my own good that I exercised my duty as a pedestrian, and more so as a person, to watch before I cross, but it saddened me that not one driver yielded, in a slow moving parking lot.

I'll try again tomorrow!